Sitting on top of the world

Sitting on top of the world
Me and Bre at 3,000 feet

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Leaving Kampala..

Hello from Kampala, Uganda everyone! This is actually my second blog, but because the macbook air was NOT made for Uganda, I'll have to post that later.

I've been staying at the backpacker's hostel in Uganda for 2 days now, and after lunch we are finally going to take the long, bumpy, 6 hour car ride to Gulu, where I will be staying for the next 5 weeks.

Our first night at backpacker's was great, and a really good opportunity for everyone to meet and get to know each other. Last night was great because we visited a secondary school that is supposed to be the best school in Uganda, I suppose to give us an idea of what the kids are missing up in Gulu. It was amazing to walk around and see the campus, we even got to go into the teachers office and meet with them. There were signs everywhere around campus about the danger of AIDS and promiscuous sex, it as very apparent that the disease is a huge problem within the school.

I don't have much time, it's very early and all of us are packing up our stuff for the long drive. This morning we are going to visit a Ugandan rapper that created a community house for local kids to express themselves musically, and then we'll be back here for lunch.

I'm a little homesick but excited for Gulu!

I'll write more from the north :)

2 comments:

KathyCampitiello said...

Hi Allison,
I am so happy to read your blog and so proud of you. You are truly a caring and loving person. Be well and take lots of pictures and be sure to keep up this blog. Can't wait to see tons of pictures. I have been studying all about Uganda and the maps and wishing I had the opportunity to see that part of this wonderful world. It seems truly beautiful!
I wish you well and hope to see you as soon as you can when you return.
Kathy

Ms. Thompson said...

You better be keeping a journal! There is no way that you will be able to give me all the details without keeping notes. I want to hear all about it when you come home!

Best,
Kristen